Andy Murray withdraws from French Opens

0 14

Andy Murray has withdrawn from the French Open has he will put his focus on the Wimbledon in July.

Former world No. 1 Andy Murray has withdrawn from the French Open, and will now turn his focus to the grass-court season and Wimbledon in July.

The 36-year-old, who has made just one appearance at Roland Garros since reaching the final in 2016 and semifinals in 2017, had said last month that he wanted another chance to play at the clay-court Grand Slam while he is still fit and healthy.

Murray, a three-time Grand Slam champion, won the second-tier Aix-en-Provence Challenger Tour crown earlier this month for his first title since 2019 but has suffered opening-match losses in Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome since April.

He has opted to skip tournaments during the clay-court season in the past to focus on the grass-court swing heading into Wimbledon, which begins July 3.

In February, he said Wimbledon offered him the best chance of going deep at a Grand Slam.

The French Open runs from May 28 to June 11. Defending champion and 14-time winner Rafael Nadal pulled out of the tournament Thursday after failing to regain full fitness from a hip injury. Nick Kyrgios and Matteo Berrettini also are among those who will miss the tournament.

 

Follow us on all social media platform, @Sportscliffs on Twitter and Instagram and also like our facebook page

Sportscliffs

Leave a comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More

Pin It on Pinterest

Shares